Citizens of eligible countries must meet the Australia visa requirements in order to apply online. New Zealand passport holders are allowed visa-free travel to Australia, but most nationalities require one type of visa before traveling to Australia. Eligible citizens who meet the online Australia visa requirements can apply for either the eVisitor Australia for Europeans or the Australia ETA for 36 other nationalities.
Travel documents required for Australia
Australia entry requirements state all foreign citizens are required to have a passport from an eligible country valid for at least 3 months upon arrival in Australia.
The type of Australian visa required will depend on the nationality of the applicant, and the duration and purpose of the stay. To apply for the Australia visa online (either ETA or eVisitor), the traveler must be visiting for either tourism or business purposes.
The visa for Australia online allows for a stay of up to 90 consecutive days (3 months) in Australia, with multiple entries allowed and a total validity of 12 months from the date of issue. Those who wish to stay in Australia for longer, or to study, work, or live in the country, will be required to apply for a different Australia visa type.
Personal Information Requirements
As part of the online Australia visa requirements, applicants are required to fill in personal information and all the data from their passport information page. Contact details such as address and phone number will be required, as well answering some security questions about criminal and health history.
Further requirements for the Australia visa application include having a valid debit or credit card to pay the visa fee, as well as providing a current email address to receive the Australia e visa in the inbox. It’s important to double-check all the data provided, in order to avoid any delays or rejection of the visa application.
Australia Visa Eligible Countries
There are 45 countries eligible to apply for either the eVisitor or Australian ETA visa online. Citizens of all other countries may apply for the Australia Visitor Visa in person, excluding citizens of Somalia.
Passport holders from countries who can apply for the Australian ETA online are:
Citizens from countries who can apply for the Australian eVisitor online include :
- Czech Republic
- The Netherlands
- San Marino
- United Kingdom – British Citizens
- Vatican City
Health Requirements for Travelers to Australia
Australia entry requirements expect applicants to meet certain health requirements before visa approval can be granted. The main condition is being free from any disease or condition that may:
- Be a public health threat or a danger to the Australian community.
- Incur substantial health care or community service costs.
- Require health care or services that would deny Australian citizens and permanent residents access to the same.
In order to meet the Australia visa requirements for health, applicants may be required to have a health examination, which will be assessed by a Medical Officer of the Commonwealth (MOC). Those who have a significant health condition will be required to sign an Australian health undertaking agreement to monitor progress with an onshore health provider, especially if the applicant:
- Had their health examinations outside Australia.
- Is applying for a protection visa for Australia.
- Is at increased risk of developing active tuberculosis.
- Has a significant health condition such as tuberculosis, HIV, hepatitis B or C, or Hansen’s disease.
Depending on the type of visa, the applicant’s family members might also have to meet Australian entry requirements for health, even if they are not migrating to Australia.
Fulfilling character requirements in order to enter Australia is another important part of meeting Australia visa requirements. If the applicant has no substantial criminal record and a record of good behavior in general, then the visa for Australia will be granted.
However, if there is a perceived risk the applicant will engage in criminal conduct, then they will not meet the entry requirements for Australia. The applicant must demonstrate that they:
- Do not intend to harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person.
- Have no intention to incite discord within, or vilify any part of, the Australian community.
- Pose no danger to the Australian community.
After submitting a visa application, travelers may be asked to supply additional information in order to verify character, including:
- A police certificate (also called a penal clearance certificate) from every country the applicant has lived in.
- A letter from an employer verifying good conduct.
- A completed character statutory declaration.
- A military certificate as proof no criminal offense was committed while serving in the military. This only applies to those who have served more than 12 months in any military force and can be a letter from the applicant’s commanding officer.