Australia is one of the most popular countries for tourism thanks to its 37,000 km coastline, lively cities, and unique nature. The most popular destinations include Sydney, Melbourne, the Gold Coast, the beautiful beaches of Whitsunday Islands, and Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, which is famed for the sacred Ayers Rock.
For those who wish to visit Australia from Cyprus, there is now an easy and simplified procedure to obtain the Australian visa for Cypriot citizens. Travellers from Cyprus can easily apply for an electronic visa, avoiding the need to visit an embassy in-person, filling out paperwork, or having to schedule an interview with an immigration officer.
Do Cypriot citizens need a visa for Australia?
Yes. All citizens of Cyprus will need to hold a valid visa before they can enter Australia. The Australian eVisitor for Cypriot citizens is valid for short stays for the purposes of tourism or business.
The Australian eVisitor visa is a multiple-entry visa that is valid for 1 year from the date of issue (or until the traveller’s passport expires — whichever comes first). Travellers can enter Australia via air or seaports with their eVisa and stay for a maximum of 3 months at a time.
Please note that there are some restrictions when travelling on an eVisitor visa to Australia. Paid work (employment) is not permitted with this type of visa, although travellers can still conduct business-related activities such as general business inquiries, negotiating a business contract, or attending business-related conferences (although they must not be paid to do so). Travellers are also able to do unpaid work (volunteering) and conduct studies as long as these are not the main purposes of the trip.
In order for travellers to apply for their Australian eVisitor visa, they must first check they meet all of the Australian visa requirements for Cypriot citizens. These include the following:
- The Cyprus-issued passport must be valid for at least 3 months from the intended date of arrival
- The applicant must be outside of Australia when applying for their visa
- The traveller should also be in good health. This includes being free from any disease or condition that could lead to significant cost to the Australian community. Health insurance for Australia is recommended.
- Travellers must ensure that they, or their relatives, do not have any outstanding debts to the Australian government
- Travellers must have enough money to support themselves fully while in Australia. The traveller must also have enough funds to leave the country at the end of their stay (i.e. to buy an onward ticket).
- Travellers must not have any substantial criminal record. If the applicant has a criminal record, he or she may still be able to enter Australia if they meet certain guidelines and procedures.
How long does it take to get a visa for Australia from Cyprus?
The average processing time of an Australian visa from Cyprus is about 24 hours, but in many cases, it is much faster. On rare occasions, it may take longer.
When applying for an Australian visa, we advise all applicants to go through their completed application and double-check to make sure that the information provided is accurate. If there are inconsistencies or errors in the application, it may lead to delays or even a rejection of the Australian eVisitor visa.
How do I apply for an Australian visa from Cyprus?
The first step to obtaining the Australian visa for citizens from Cyprus is to begin an online application.
This online application will ask a few questions about the traveller and takes most people less than 30 minutes to complete. Applicants are asked to provide their full name (first name and surname), date of birth, and nationality, among other details. It will also ask for the traveller’s contact information (email and current address) and passport information (passport number and expiration date).
Afterwards, applicants will need to pay the processing fee with a valid form of payment (credit card or debit card) in order to submit the application for consideration.