Australia is a sovereign country with the capital in Canberra, although the largest city is Sydney. Part of the Oceania region, it is the sixth biggest country in the world by area, covering more than 7.5 million square kilometers. It is also the largest country without land borders. With several international airports and ports, there are many access points to Australia.
When it comes to travel, visiting Australia might seem like a complex process but it was simplified in the past years with the introduction of two types of online visas. The ETA subclass 601 visa is available for citizens of 9 countries and the eVisitor visa subclass 651 is available for nationals of 28 European Union member states and 7 other European countries in the Schengen Area.
This entirely online process allows travelers to apply for their Australia visa for either tourism or business purposes and obtain it in a matter of hours. The benefit is that it eliminates the necessity of going in person to an embassy or consulate to apply for a visa, waiting in queues and filling out a paper application.
Presently only citizens of New Zealand can travel to Australia without a visa, being granted an electronic Special Category visa (SCV) on arrival. Visitors from all other countries in the world need to possess a valid visa.
Do Greek Citizens Need a Visa to Enter Australia?
Yes, Greek citizens are required to possess a valid visa if they wish to travel to Australia for either tourism or business purposes. They can easily apply online for the eVisitor visa subclass 651.
The Australian eVisitor for Greek citizens allows multiple entries into Australia over a period of one year, for a maximum of three months per stay.
There are some restrictions when traveling with an eVsitor to Australia. Paid work is not permitted with this visa, although travelers can still conduct other business-related activities like general business inquiries, negotiating or reviewing a business contract, or attending seminars or conferences (if they are not paid to do so). They can also do unpaid volunteer work and conduct studies as long as these don’t constitute the main purpose of their trip.
What Documents are Required for Greek Citizens for the Australian eVisitor?
The documents required when applying for an Australian eVisitor for Greek citizens are the following:
- A passport valid for at least 3 months from the date of entry in Australia
- Credit card or debit card for the online payment
Having health insurance is recommended to cover any unforeseen medical treatment while in Australia.
Additionally, applicants will need to provide a valid email address where all communications related to the status of their application will be sent.
Before applying for a visa, Greek citizens should ensure they meet all the visa requirements. The most important ones are as follows:
- Travelers must be outside Australia when applying for a visa and before receiving it
- They need to meet specific health requirements: being free from any disease or condition that could lead to significant healthcare and community service cost to the Australian community or likely limit access to Australian citizens and permanent residents to healthcare and community services
- Travelers must ensure they (or family members) do not have any debts to the Australian Government
- They must have enough money to support themselves while in Australia and to leave the country at the end of their stay
- Character requirements must be fulfilled, meaning not having any substantial criminal record
Apply for an Australian eVisitor from Greece
Travelers can apply for their eVisitor by simply filling in the online application form.
The Australian visa for Greek citizens is an efficient and fast process, with most applications being processed within 24 hours or less.
Nevertheless, applicants should be aware that the efficiency of the process depends on the accuracy of the information provided. The process might take longer or visa could even be rejected if there are inaccuracies in the application or any documents or information is missing.
At the moment of the online application the following information will be required:
- Country of citizenship
- Family name, First/Given names
- Date and country of birth
- Phone number
- Passport number and country of issue
- Date of issue and of expiry
*Note: Citizens should travel on the same passport used to fill out the application.
Applicants will then be directed to enter their online payment information, providing the type of card, cardholder name, card number, expiration date, and CVV security code.
Within 24 hours from the online application, travelers will receive an email with a confirmation or an update regarding the status of their eVisitor. If all information was accurately provided, the eVisitor will be immediately granted. In some situations, a new application must be submitted or the visa application might require further assessment. In this last situation, it is possible to check the status of the application by logging back into the online system and selecting the Check an eVisitor option.
Additional things to note about the Australian eVisitor for Greek citizens:
- The eVisitor starts on the date it is granted
- The visa will be digitally linked to the passport, there will be no label in the passport
- The visa expires one year after it was issued or when the passport expires, whichever comes first