The Australian eVisitor visa was implemented in 2008 for the citizens of several European Union and Schengen Area countries in order to help in accelerating and simplifying the process of travelling to Australia.
Therefore, Italian citizens can apply for an eVisitor visa online in order to be able to enter Australia for business or tourism purposes. The Australian eVisitor for Italians is valid for 12 months and grants a maximum stay of 3 months at a time.
The Australian eVisitor for Italian citizens supports multiple entries enabling travellers to go back and forth as many times as necessary throughout its 1-year validity.
The application for the Australian eVisitor visa can be done online and is very straightforward and easy to complete. This makes the process of obtaining a visa very convenient as it eliminates the need for applicants to go to embassies or consulates on appointments.
The Australian eVisitor for Italians starts from the date it is granted, whereas the 3-month stay starts counting from the date of entry to Australia.
Generally, the eVisitor visa is granted within a day or 2 and will be digitally linked to the applicant’s passport removing the need for any labels or stamps upon approval.
Do Italian citizens need a visa for Australia?
Italian citizens along with nationals of other eligible European countries are required to apply for the Australian eVisitor visa (or another type of visa) before travelling to Australia.
The Australian visa for citizens from Italy allows business visits, visiting friends or family, enjoying cruises and holidays as well as studying or training for 3 months. Unpaid volunteer work is also permitted with an Australian eVisitor visa.
Families wishing to travel together should apply individually for the Australian eVisitor visa, including minors. Only minors appearing on their parent’s passports are exempt from applying for the Australian eVisitor visa from Italy. In these cases, children can enter the country on their parent’s eVisitor visa.
Italian citizens wishing to extend their Australian eVisitor visa must apply for a new one, as extending eVisitor visas is not possible.
How long does it take to get a visa for Australia from Italy?
Usually, it takes up to a maximum of 48 hours to obtain the Australian eVisitor visa from Italy.
In case of any mistakes or errors, or if additional documents are required, the application process may take longer. Therefore, the best option is to apply well in advance (if possible) to avoid any complications.
Australian visa requirements for Italian applicants
Petitioners must meet the Australian visa requirements for Italian citizens, which include the following:
- Passport, valid for at least 3 months counting from the date of arrival in Australia
- Health clearance document proving no risk of public health, such as tuberculosis (if applicable)
- Proof of no medical service requirements in Australia (if applicable)
- Proof of funds to support the stay as well as leaving expenses
- Criminal conviction record
- Valid email address
Having health insurance coverage is not a requirement but is recommended.
Travellers may be asked to undergo medical examinations to be able to enter Australia as the Australian Government demands fulfilling a number of specified health and character requirements before granting any type of visa, such as:
- Posing no threat to the Australian public health
- Being free of tuberculosis
- Requiring no costly health and community services (or those short in supply) that may in turn risk a lack of or no access to these services for Australian citizens or permanent residents
- No criminal conviction or jail-time sentencing of 12 months or more (whether served or not served)
- Answering questions in a truthful manner
- Proof of good conduct by an employer (if applicable)
Visitors are required to notify the Australian Government in case of:
- Changing phone number, address, email address, passport
- Changing the relationship status
- Giving birth to a child
Apply for an Australian visa from Italy
To apply for the Australian visa from Italy, applicants must provide the following basic personal answers on the online application form:
- Personal information: full name, address, birthdate
- Passport information: passport number, expiry date, nationality
- Health history information: relevant medical history
- Security information: history of criminal convictions (if applicable)
- Travel plans: hotel bookings, dates, itinerary
Once the application is completed and the required documents are attached, a response can be expected within hours at the email address provided in the form.
Once the Australian visa is approved, it will be digitally linked to the traveller’s passport number. A copy of the email with the approved eVisitor visa should be presented upon arrival at the Australian airport, together with the corresponding passport.
Visitors must apply for a new Australian eVisitor visa in case of passport loss or change as electronic visas are not transferrable between passports.
eVisitor visa application in Italian
Those who do not feel comfortable in English do not need to worry. The eVisitor electronic application is available online in Italian, as well as in a variety of other languages. All applicants need to do is use the button below to access the online application in Italian.