Since 2001, South Korean citizens can travel to Australia for tourism or business purposes by first obtaining an online Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), which is valid for either 3 months, 6 months or 12 months, depending on the length of the intended stay.
The Australian ETA for South Korea citizens supports multiple entries; therefore, travelers can leave and enter as many times as suitable during its course of validity. However, remaining in Australia should not exceed a maximum of 90 consecutive days at a time.
ETA validity starts from the moment of issue while the 3-month stay starts from the date the traveler enters Australia.
The application procedure for the Australian visa from South Korea is simple and can either be done online or through airline service providers, specialist service providers or travel agents.
Receiving a response of approval does usually not take longer than 3 business days. However, there are currently no specified dates of when a response should be expected. In case of mistakes in the application form or additional required documents, the process may take longer.
Do South Korean Citizens Need a Visa to Enter Australia?
Except for citizens of New Zealand, all other nationalities must obtain a visa before traveling to Australia. South Korean citizens along with citizens of 8 other countries can apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) online before departure from home country.
The Australian ETA for South Koreans allows visiting family or friends, enjoying holidays or cruises, taking part in business visits and trade fairs, studying or training for 3 months as well as provide unpaid volunteer work.
However, the Australian visa for South Korean citizens does not grant the possibility of selling goods or services, providing paid services, or work for businesses based in Australia.
If applying as a family, all family members must fill in the application forms separately, including minors. However, minors that are on the parent’s passport are allowed to travel through their parent’s ETA.
What Documents are Required for South Koreans for the Australian ETA?
Australian visa requirements for Korean citizens include the following:
- Passport, valid for at least 3 months counting from the date of arrival in Australia
- Health clearance document proving no risk of public health, such as Tuberculosis
- Proof of no medical service requirements in Australia, optional
- Criminal conviction record
- Valid credit/debit card for visa fee payment
- Valid email address
- Proof of sufficient funds
- Health insurance, recommended
Travelers may also be required to go through medical examinations in order to be able to enter Australia. The Australian Government requires all travelers to fulfill health and character requirements in order to be granted any type of Australian visa.
Health requirements include:
- No significant healthcare and community service costs
- Being free of Tuberculosis
- Not threaten the Australian public health
- Not demanding healthcare or community services that are in short supply and interfere with the access to these services by the Australian citizens and permanent residents
Character requirements in order to be able to enter Australia:
- No criminal convictions with a sentence of 12 months or more (served or not served)
- Truthfully answering questions
- Providing all the information required
- Declaring all criminal conduct, if any
Providing false documents or information will result in 3 years of no visa application possibilities for the traveler or the traveler’s family members. Whereas, providing false information concerning the traveler’s identity will result in 10 years of no possibility of visa for the traveler or the traveler’s family members.
Apply for an Australian ETA from South Korea
To apply for the Australian ETA from South Korea, applicants must provide the following basic personal answers:
- Passport information – passport number, expiry date, nationality
- Personal information – full name, address, birthdate
- Security information – history of criminal conviction
- Health history information – medical history and vaccinations
- Travel plans – hotel bookings, dates
Travelers are advised to double-check all documents and information provided to avoid any errors that may prolong the process or risk being rejected.
Once submitted, a response for the Australian visa for Koreans can be expected within 3 business days via email address. However, if additional documents should be required, the process will take longer.
Once approved, applicants will receive the ETA via email address. The Australian ETA will be digitally linked to the traveler’s passport, while a copy of the approved ETA email must be brought at border control, together with the passport.
Electronic visas are not transferrable between passports if the traveler loses the passport while still in Australia. In such cases, travelers must apply for a new ETA.
The Australian Government must be notified in case the traveler changes the relationship status, phone number, address, passport, email address or gives birth to a child while in Australia.